SUSTAINABLE AND RESPONSIBLE DESIGN
Normann Copenhagen utilizes more than 100 different types of materials, ranging from wood, steel and fabrics to glass, polymers and porcelain. Focusing on strength, durability and on reducing environmental impact, our sourcing team works hard to select the best materials from the best-in-class suppliers.
Did you know?
• Our Snooze bed linen is made from OEKO-TEX certified cotton and comes packaged in a matching drawstring bag made from the excess material from the production.
• We use water-based lacquer and environmentally friendly coating whenever possible for our furniture.
• All wooden products imported to Europe follow the EUTR (EU Timber regulation). The majority of our wood is FSC certified.
• We offer LED technology in all our lighting. LED technology is highly energy-efficient and thus ensures low energy consumption. In addition, LED is heat tolerant towards materials such as wood.
The tanning processes
Normann Copenhagen uses high-quality natural leather from some of the world’s leading leather suppliers.
“Leather tanning” is a general term for the numerous processing steps involved in converting animal hides or skins into finished leather. The process is used to prevent animal hides or skins from decaying, making them resistant to moisture and keeping them supple and durable.
The leather we use is made by 1) vegetable tanning agents or 2) chrome tanning agents.
Vegetable tanning is an acid occurring naturally in the roots, wood, bark, leaves and fruits of many plants.
Chrome also occurs naturally in the environment in stone, soil, plants and volcanic material. Chromium III salt is safe to use and non-toxic. Chromium III is NOT be confused with Chromium VI, which is toxic and is prohibited for use in tanning.
We only use leathers made without the use of PCP or CFC.
Certificates & tests
Normann Copenhagen has recieved global certificates and tests.
(from Electronic Equipment)
(Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals)
- FSC certified wood
- Danish Technology Institute
- OEKO TEX Certification
All products used in connection with food, ranging from bowls and cutlery to plates and serving plates, as well as cups and glasses, comply with the standards set forward by the Ministry of Environment and Food of Denmark. Find our Inspection Smiley Reports here.
• We test ceramics according to Danish ordinance on materials and articles intended for food contact (BEK nr 1248 af 30/10/2018).
• All drinking glasses and ceramics are tested according to standard NF EN 1388-1 and 2 (classification index D25 501).
• All products made of plastic to be used in connection with food are tested according to the European Commission Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 and (EC) No 1935/2004.
• All products made in stainless steel to be used in connection with food are tested according to Article 3 of European Commission Regulation No. 1935/2004.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.